
He said his talk doesn't have a title, but if it did, it would be "True Doctrine is ALWAYS the answer." He obviously is talking to missionaries in the talk, but it is applicable in anyone's life. He began by defining what doctrine is: "Truth revealed by Heavenly Father and is relevant to salvation." He also gave definitions for principle: guideline from the doctrine, and application: behaviors and actions. They can be broken down like this
doctrine = WHY
priciple = WHAT
application = HOW
He asked the senior missionaries in the audience to think about their roles and callings they've had in the church (a bishop for example). He asked if (as a bishop or other) they had focused on the application? the principle? or the doctrine? If we have only focused on the HOW of the gospel, we have missed out. Missed opportunities to come unto christ and bring others to him as well.
For example: How do we improve Home/visiting teaching. More often than not, we are focused on the HOW. Reorganize. Provide incentives. Elder Bednar quoted Elder Packer "True doctrine understood changes behavior..." If we truly understand the WHY behind visiting/home teaching, we will never miss. The individual task we all have is to study and discover the WHY's behind the things we do (or should do.)
The question to ask ourselves is this:
"What doctrines and principles, if understood, will change ____________ behavior?"
This principle can be applied when doing missionary work or helping those around us. If someone is struggling with an addiction, what is the doctrine that will change the behavior? I think there are many answers, but one of the key ones is the redeeming and strengthening power of the atonement.
I'm so grateful for the opportunity to hear this talk. I really felt inspired by it. I hope this wasn't just babble, and that some of you took something away from this. If not, that's ok. I'm really just writing it down so that I don't forget.
I love this, Ellie! Thanks for taking the time to share it. Love you!
ReplyDelete