beige

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Get me a carving knife!!!


We have mice. Ok. Mouse. I'm assuming there is more than one, but we have only seen one. It all started yesterday morning. Andrew woke up at about 6...which is normal for him...not for me. He says to me, do you hear that. I think there's a mouse under our bed. Yikes! Not the words you want to wake up to. Turns out it wasn't under our bed, but in the wall. Scratching. What a horrible noise. Then. Andrew leaves for work and i'm left to imagine what kind of creature (probably just a mouse) is trying to claw it's way into my room. That night, we ate dinner at my parents and when we came home... andrew saw a mouse run from the kitchen into Will's room. Here is where the "fun" starts.
Andrew saw it run behind the old dresser I got for Will at DI. So, we barricaded that corner of the room to try to catch the mouse. Way easier said then done. Those little creatures are lightning fast. Sometimes, it's just a flash you can see even when looking right at it. Anyways, we tried catching it with a garbage can. Yeah right. It kept darting back to safety behind the dresser. We decided we had to get it into a more open area. So, we made a gap for the mouse to run from our barricaded corner with a dresser to another barricaded corner with nothing in it. He would be exposed, and we would be able to kill it. Well, andrew would be able to kill it. In the process of the transition, the mouse escaped. It all happened so fast, but andrew said it leaped over a box right at him. We both took a couple stabs at it. Me with the broom and andrew with the mop. Both unsuccessful as it hid in the vent in Will's room. Maybe if I had had a carving knife, I would have been more successful.
So, for the time being. William is sleeping in between Andrew and I. He's a kicker.
Andrew set traps. Tomorrow is deep cleaning day. I'm sure I'll have more stories soon.

2 comments:

  1. Use your vacuum to suck it up and then empty the bag. It can definitely be done that way. Not fun having mice in your place at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you set traps, the best way to catch them is to put the trap with the short end (with the trigger) right against the wall(Somewhere where will can't get to them, of course). Don't bother baiting them unless you can't get it that way. They like to hug walls when they scurry through the house, and they don't have very good eyesight, so they usually just run alongside the wall straight into the trap, and then it will snap its neck and back at the same time, killing it instantly (i.e. no suffering). Good luck! (I did pest control for a summer)

    ReplyDelete