beige

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Drum roll.... It's done!











After a long much more painful than expected process... the crib is finished! Before Will was born, Ellie and I decided to build a crib for William. We had some spare time this summer and we actually thought it would save us a few bucks, not to mention a fun family project. Well...3 months later we are finally done! It turned out to be quite the job. Much more difficult than we anticipated. We found some cribs online that we thought looked good, then I designed it and modeled it on Google SketchUp. We went to Home Depot and bought the lumber and got to work. Since we couldn't afford already finished wood, we had to sand every single piece by hand. The big pieces weren't bad, but the slats were brutal. There are like 40 or so and they were a bit of a pain. Anyway... check out the pictures. We put it in the baby's room tonight and finally have it all set up except for a few pictures and things. It's been fun painting the baby's room and getting everything ready for Will. He's a little spoiled but it's fun! So, how did we do?







9 comments:

  1. That's awesome Andrew.
    Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's Awesome! What a fun Project!! Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are AMAZING! Who knew carpentry was on your very long list of talents? VERY impressive. I am curious, though. Did it really end up costing less than if you had just bought one? Hmmm - Even if it didn't, the sentiment and satisfaction must be HUGE, no matter how much it cost! Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. good job guys! I can't wait to come see it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sister Waterson:
    So the lumber was cheaper than buying a crib, but there were a hundred other little things we didn't think about ahead of time that we had to pay for like paint screws, glue, etc, not to mention time. It took SOO long. I am now a believer in specialization and will be buying anything I'm not very good at making myself.

    ReplyDelete