Reading the last post, you'd would wonder why i'm talking about being a mom already, didn't it say "I'm due in 2 weeks?" Well, that would be Grandma Jeanne's fault. The story of the prophecy: Well, first I must say that saturday was quite a day. We received last minute tickets to the "Stadium of Fire" (i hope you heard the jingle in your head when you read that.) The show started at 8. We were shopping for wood to make a baby crib when we received a call from my dad saying he had 2 extra tickets if we wanted them. (I had been making excuses that the reason we weren't going was because I was pregnant, when really we just didn't have tickets :( So, naturally we accepted the tickets. The call from dad came at 7:50. We ran out of the store. Drove home. Changed. Parked miles away and ran (I'm sure Andrew would say I was anything from running. He was dragging me.) For a 38 week pregnant girl, this was quite the night for me. Sunday I slept in till noon :) That's the one great thing about 2 pm church. Our Sunday evening visit to the Family was even more fun than usual because Grandma Jeanne and Aunt Lori joined us. I had a couple contractions over the course of the night, but that had been happening for weeks. No worries, I thought... Monday was to be our 4th of July celebration day! We were planning on going early to the parade (the plan of sleeping out for the parade had died off thinking I would have to go to the porta-potty every 2 hours), going to see the hot air balloons, and swimming!!! I have had one opportunity to swim this summer and loved it! I was looking forward to swimming and having a barbeque. But, it was not to be... During the course of the evening, the conversation turned to my contractions. Grandma Jeanne says: "Oh, the next time we see you, you'll be a mom." Lori jumps in "No wait, we'll see you tomorrow when we swim." But, Grandma did not back down from her statement. She wished us well. Told us we'd have a busy night. And told us to call her when I went into labor. Ha ha...I thought.
Hannah came to sleep over at our apartment and go to the parade with us. We walked in the door and the first thing we did was go see the baby room. As I was giving her a tour of the baby room I felt like I wet my pants a little...I hobbled to the bathroom...yes, my water had broken. I didn't really believe it. I was in denial. There was no way I was going into labor. I was not ready to go to the hospital. My bag wasn't packed. The house wasn't "baby clean." And I was definitely not ready to birth a child.
Accepting that my water had broken meant accepting that I would have a baby within 24 hours. Hee Hee Whooo.
We played Ticket to Ride waiting for my contractions to start. We had about two turns to go when we decided it was time to go. Checked in at the hospital at 2:30 am. Had a bout of contractions. Loved my epidural. Progressed to complete by 7 am. And got ready to push. Everything was going so smoothly. I figured that pushing would take a couple minutes (given that the rest had been so quick and less painful than expected). After pushing for a bit, they could see his head. I figured birth was just around the corner...I was wrong. After an hour of pushing, the doctor finally came in. Yay! Done pushing. Wrong again. He said "I'm gonna check you out and see if I have time to go check on another patient." He decided that he had time. I was disappointed but figured he'd go next door and be back in 10 minutes. Then his words came..."I'll just run to Timpanogos and be back in half an hour." !!!!! What in the world!!!! He thinks he's going to make it to timp, see a patient, and be back in 1/2 hour!!!! With the parade going on!!! I was so stunned I just said ok. He left. More than an hour later of pushing with the epidural wearing off he returned. Poor little William's head would come all the way down and then go back...for 2 hours!!! The resulting cone head didn't surprise me. The doctor said he was transverse. Nightmares of a C-section arose. Reaching in to his elbows, he tried to turn the poor baby. Weirdest sensation of my life. Everytime I pushed, he turned back. Forceps had to be summoned. With almost no epidural left (assuming I was almost done an hour ago I hadn't pushed the button for the meds), he ripped that poor baby out of me. I can't quite describe that experience, I think I've blocked it out.
And then...I was a mom :)
No comments:
Post a Comment